When my bookmark folder for the Linux category started to fill the whole screen, I knew it was time to share some of these gems I’ve saved over the years. I hope everybody interested in Linux, veteran and amateur alike, finds something here to like.
- Tux Finder – a package search tool, finds repositories for most Linux package platforms and architectures.
- Debian packages – It’s huge, it’s here.
- RPMfind – Darn near as big as Debian’s.
- Easy URPMI – Package mirror locator for Mandriva.
- Ibiblio’s FTP – Tarballs galore!
- And because Slackware packages are especially hard to find: Slackware Current, Slack-Builds, Alien Slackbuilds.
- Distrowatch – Should be first base for any Linux user.
- Live CD News – Just Linux live CDs, that’s all!
- LinuxReview – Nothing but reviews.
- Distro Rankings – May the best distro win!
Help with Linux
- Linux Questions – Ask it here.
- Linux Documentation Project – The place where those little elves write all those man pages.
- Linux Library – A fast site with easy categories – find your answer in seconds.
- Linux-Topia – Lots of informative stuff.
- The Ultimate Linux Reference Guide for Newbies – Just one big cheat sheet!
- Tips for Linux Explorers – A huge walk-through that tames even the scariest subjects.
KDE, Gnome, or What?
- XWinMan – The most thorough site for Linux desktops.
- Window Manager/Desktop Environment Guide – Only the most common are covered here, but in more depth.
- “Why Linux is Better”
- “Myths, lies, and facts about Linux”
- “Ten things you didn’t know about open source”
- “The FOSS business guide”
- A Brief History of Tux – Your favorite mascot.
- Free Mascots – Who are the other mascots of free and open source software besides Tux?
- How to look like a Unix guru. – Doesn’t everybody want to?
- Rootless Root – The Unix Koans of the masters
- The daemon, the GNU, and the Penguin – How do they all relate? Groklaw hosts this classic book.
OK, my fingers got tired. I know somebody’s going to post something and ask “How could I leave this out?” Go ahead, you know you want to!
- A Guide to Linux Package Systems
- People Who’ve Never Run Linux Shouldn’t Write About Linux
- Linux Distros That Could Take The Lead Soon
- What Your Linux Distro Says About You
- Hey Microsoft! Just Make Your Own Linux Distro!